All participants are required to accept the following waiver during the registration process. SDU strongly recommends that participants take the time to familiarise themselves with it.
JENOUISE EVENTS PTY LTD
Simpson Desert Ultra Event Participation Agreement, Release and Indemnity
This is an important document that should be read carefully and understood fully as it will affect your legal rights. It is a condition of entry to and participation in Simpson Desert Ultra that you read and accept this document, and during online entry you will confirm the same. If there is any part of it that you do not understand you should seek legal advice. Please re-read this form in the days prior to the event to make yourself aware of the risks of participating.
In consideration of Jenouise Events Pty Ltd (the “Event Organisers”) accepting my participation in any of the Simpson Desert Ultra running events to be held between 6-7 June, 2020 (the “Event”), I agree to this release of claims, waiver of liability and assumption of risk.
- I have read and understood the information in this waiver relating to the Event
- The Event Organisers may, at their sole discretion, refuse entry or cancel an entry to any person for any reason whatsoever.
- I understand the demanding physical nature of the Event. I declare, as a condition of entry to the Event, that I have sufficiently trained for the Event and that I am not aware of any illness, injury or any other physical disability which may cause me injury or death whilst participating in the Event.
- I understand that I must submit to the Event Organiser, the completed event medical clearance from my GP in order to confirm my participation in the Event.
- In the event that I become aware of any medical condition or impairment, or am otherwise sick or injured prior to or during the Event, I will withdraw from the Event.
- I acknowledge that participating in the Event is a dangerous activity and that by such participation I am exposed to certain risks. I accept that participation in the Simpson Desert Ultra will test my physical and mental limits and carries the potential for death, serious injury, and property loss.
- I acknowledge that the enjoyment of running is derived in part from the inherent risks and exertion beyond the accepted safety of life at home or work, and that these inherent risks contribute to such enjoyment and is a reason for my participation in the Event.
- I acknowledge and understand that whilst participating in the Event;
- I may be injured, physically or mentally, or may die from various causes including, but not limited to; over exertion, dehydration, overhydration and cardiac arrest; slips, collisions, trips or falls; accidents with other participants, spectators, course markers, obstacles, terrain or road users; interactions with plant and animal life; heat, cold or other adverse weather conditions; or accidents caused by my own actions;
- My personal property may be lost or damaged;
- I may cause injury to other persons or damage their property;
- The conditions in which the Event is conducted may vary without warning;
- I may be in a remote or isolated location where access to medical support may be limited and take significant time to reach me;
- There may be no or inadequate facilities for treatment or transport of me if I am injured;
- I assume the risk and responsibility for any injury, death or property damage resulting from my participation in the Event.
- I will not participate in the Event under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- I consent to the provision of first aid emergency or other medical treatment for the purpose of treating injuries or physical harm that I may suffer as a consequence of participating in the Event. I authorise licenced medical practitioners, hospital or other medical or health care facilities to perform all medical procedures which they may consider medically advisable to attempt to treat or relieve such injuries, including but not limited to the administration of anaesthesia and provision of blood transfusions. I realise there is a possibility of complication and unforeseen consequences in any medical treatment which I may receive and I assume that risk. I acknowledge that no warranty is made as to the results of any medical treatment.
- I give permission for the Event medical staff to examine me and recommend treatment as necessary, and in the event of an emergency I give permission for any anaesthesia, operation or hospitalisation that may be deemed necessary.
- If there are any treatments that I do not wish to be administered under any circumstances, such as blood transfusions, I will provide written notification of the same to the Event Organisers. Failure to disclose any information requested above could result in serious harm to myself.
- I agree that if I am injured or require medical assistance, the Event Organisers may, at my cost, arrange medical treatment and emergency evacuation as deemed necessary by the Event Organisers. I agree that I am responsible for my own medical and ambulance cover.
- I understand that my medical history and personal information, collected as part of the entry process for the Event will be made available to the event medical team and operations team. It will only be used to help staff look after me if I need help and care. If I am evacuated from the Event by Emergency Services, this personal information plus any new data entered by event staff will be supplied to the Emergency Services staff to enable my continued care. All information will remain confidential.
- I acknowledge that the Event medical director’s decision regarding my continuation in the Event should I become ill, sick or injured is final.
- I agree to release, indemnify, and hold harmless the Event Organisers, its officers, employees, agents, volunteers, contractors, public bodies, landholders and sponsors, from and against any and all claims, demands, right or cause of action, suits, expenses, costs and proceedings of any nature whatsoever which may be made by me or on my behalf or by other parties for or in respect of or arising out of any injury, loss, damage of death caused to me or my property as a result of my entry or participation in the Event, whether by negligence, breach of contract or in any way whatsoever.
- I also agree that in the event I am injured or my property is damaged, I will bring no claim, legal or otherwise, against the Event Organisers in respect to that injury or damage.
- I agree to allow my name, results, photographs, video, multimedia or film likeness to be used for any legitimate purpose by Jenouise Events Pty Ltd, the sponsors, event partners, or assigns without payment or compensation.
- I agree to abide by the Event rules and the direction of all Event officials.
- I acknowledge that the Event Organisers may change or alter the advertised course without notice if the Event Organisers deem necessary. I also acknowledge that the Event Organisers may cancel the Event due to weather conditions, safety considerations, terrorism or ‘acts of God’ and that in such circumstances my entry fee will be non-refundable.
- I will on race day be eighteen (18) years of age or older if participating in the 80km or 160km events.
- I will on race day be sixteen (16) years of age or older if participating in the 42km event and have written parental consent if under eighteen (18) years of age.
- I will on race day be twelve (12) years of age or older if participating in the 20km event and have written parental consent if under eighteen (18) years of age.
For the purpose of this document, “Event Organisers” means Jenouise Events Pty Ltd, event officials, medical staff and volunteers, and all officers, directors, servants, employees, contractors, representatives and agents of any of these entities.
Event Refund Policy
Due to the nature of organising the event in a remote location, refunds will only be provided in the following situations;
- If you provide the Event Organisers with over 90 days notice before the event date, we will provide you with a full refund on your entry fee less a 10% administration fee.
- If you provide the Event Organiser with between 60 and 89 days notice before the event date, we will provide you with a 50% refund on your entry fee.
- If you provide the Event Organiser with less than 60 days notice before the event date, no refund will be given.
- The Event Organiser is not liable or responsible for any travel costs incurred as a result of withdrawing from the event.
- The Event Organiser strongly recommends that all participants take out travel insurance to cover the cost of any unforeseen circumstances that prevent the participant from travelling to or participating in the Simpson Desert Ultra.
Downgrading or Upgrading of Event Distance
- Event distance can be upgraded or downgraded where more than 60 days notice prior to the event start date is provided in writing.
- Downgrading of event distance will not be permitted within 60 days of the event start date.
- Upgrading of event distance will be at the discretion of the Event Organiser up to 30 days prior to the event start date.
- Where space is available in the longer distance, participants can choose to upgrade with the difference in the registration fee payable to confirm acceptance.
- Where space is available in the shorter distance, participants can downgrade and a refund of the registration fee difference will be paid by the Event Organiser to the participant, less a $50 administration fee.
Event Transfer Policy
Participants are permitted to transfer entries between people, to which the following rules apply;
- No transfers will be permitted within 60 days of the event start date.
- The new participant must complete the online registration within 48 hours of the transfer being accepted by the Event Organiser.
- The new participant must submit the medical clearance to the Event Organiser in accordance with the Event waiver.
- An $80 transfer fee applies which is payable to the Event Organiser.
- Notification of the transfer must be received by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 60 days prior to the event start.
- The Event Organiser takes no responsibility for the payment of funds between the parties.
On The Day Registration
- Registrations on the day of the event will not be accepted.
The safety of the Simpson Desert Ultra participants is the highest priority and at the forefront of every decision made by Event Organisers. By registering for the Event I hereby agree to abide by the event rules and understand that failure to comply with them may result in time penalties, withdrawal from the Event or being prohibited from starting the Event.
- You must complete the marked course on foot under your own power.
- Trekking poles are permitted for all areas of the course.
- Performance enhancing drugs are prohibited.
- It is not permitted for anyone else to compete under your name or vice versa.
- Your bib number must be visible at all times on your front either on the lower portion of your shirt or your leg. It must be worn over the top of any clothing.
- The red flashing light must be attached to the back of your pack and be on during night hours.
- The hi-vis vest must be worn over the top of any clothing and pack during night hours.
- Timing at the Simpson Desert Ultra is manual.
- It is the responsibility of the participant to ensure they check in at the completion of each loop and check out at the resumption of the next one with the crew at the timing tent in the Hub.
- It is the responsibility of the participant to ensure their number is recorded at each check point.
- If you withdraw from the event you must sign the withdrawal form at the closest checkpoint. If withdrawing at a checkpoint other than the Hub you will be transported to the Hub at the next available opportunity.
- If you need help on course follow the directions on the back of your race bib.
- Hydration and nutrition supplies will be provided at each manned aid station. A full list of likely food/beverage options will be made available to participants in advance of the event to allow for adequate planning.
- There will be two emergency aid stations on each loop that are to be used for emergencies only.
- Participants must render aid to fellow participants who require help. Failure to do so may be deemed unsporting and penalties may apply. When rendering aid take note of the time spent and report the time back to staff at the next checkpoint for credits to be applied.
- You must stay on the marked course. Short cuts are not permitted and will result in being ineligible for podium position.
- If you get lost return to the last sighted marker. If you cannot find the last sighted marker follow the instructions on the back of your race bib.
- You must carry your own mandatory gear at all times where directed to during the event. Random gear checks will occur. For every item that is missing a 30min time penalty will be added to the overall time of the participant. Where the item can be replaced on course the participant will be permitted to continue and no further time penalties will occur. Where the item cannot be replaced it is up to the discretion of the event safety team as to whether the participant can continue and if so, a further 30min time penalty will occur.
- For severe breaches of mandatory gear or failure to comply with requests of event marshals, the runner may be disqualified.
- You must obey the directions of checkpoint staff and course marshals at all times.
- Cut off times will be enforced at all checkpoints. If you miss a cut off you must withdraw from the event.
- Any participant requiring IV fluids will be withdrawn from the Event. This decision is final.
- The Medical Director has the authority to prevent a participant’s continuation in the Event if it is deemed unsafe for the individual’s health and/or safety. This decision is final.
- Littering is strictly prohibited and any participant verified to have littered will be required to discuss the matter with event staff and disqualification may occur.
- You must not leave human faeces in the open on course. There is very little in the way of vegetation on course and we ask that where possible bowel movements be restricted to the toilets provided at every check point. Where it is not possible please ensure that waste is buried a minimum of 15cm deep, with toilet paper carried out. You are required to carry snap lock bags for this reason.
- Dogs may be permitted at the Event Hub with prior permission from event organisers.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere on course or at aid stations/Event Hub.
- Leave any gates or fences as you find them.
- Aid can only be received from support crews within 200m of a designated manned checkpoint and the Hub. No aid can be received from support crews outside of these areas.
- Support crews are only permitted to access the Hub and checkpoint 1.
- Support crews must comply with all instructions from event staff and officials. The participant is responsible for the actions or breaches of rules by their support crew and may be penalised for them.
- Support crews must obey all road rules and drive within the speed limits. Please ensure that support crew receive sufficient rest and sleep breaks.
- Support crews and supporters must not eat any food provided at checkpoints.
- Support crew vehicles must have a ‘support crew’ sign on them collected from event organisers.
- Support crews are not allowed to collect withdrawing participants from anywhere other than checkpoint 1 or the Event Hub, and only after the participant has signed the withdrawal form. Any participant withdrawing from an unmanned checkpoint or along the course will be collected by event crew.
- The Event Organisers are not responsible for the safety or whereabouts of support crew.
- Supporters are permitted to walk/run the final 200m with their participant/s into the Hub on any loop. They are not permitted to walk/run with them at any other point on the course.
- Pacers are not permitted.
- The Event Organiser reserves the right to discourage and/or penalise behaviour deemed unsporting.
- Breaking any of the rules may incur a time penalty, disqualification or pre-race withdrawal. Any such penalties are at the organisers’ discretion and are final.